The Italian ship Leonardo da Vinci
The Leonardo da Vinci was a passenger ship of Italy – Genoa Navigation Company , a company belonging to the group IRI – Finmare , better known in the world of international shipping as the Italian Line
The ship, built in shipyard Ansaldo Sestri Ponente, with construction number 1550, was launched December 7, 1958 and godmother of the launch was Mrs. Carla Bissatini, wife of Giovanni Gronchi, third President of the Italian Republic.
The “Leonardo da Vinci” was eleven bridges connected by twenty-one lifts, could accommodate 1326 passengers and had five pools, two of them for children. The first class pool had an infrared heater to make its use possible in the winter season.
The onboard facilities including a hospital with an operating room, radiology laboratory, gynecological clinic, gym and rooms for physiotherapy, three barber shops, a teletype for the televised edition printing of the Corriere della Sera, an auditorium with 300 seats , a chapel, a playground for children.
For electrical services on board the ship had four generators, able to illuminate a city of 150,000 inhabitants. also it possessed a seawater desalination plant capable of producing 700,000 liters.
The Leonardo da Vinci was a particularly luxurious and fast ship, very finely decorated and extremely innovative features.
It was the first ship class cabins all with private facilities, air conditioning in all rooms, four retractable stabilizer fins on the hull and twin engines, with a single power unit dedicated to each of the two propellers, a feature normally reserved for military ships.
Presented by Romano Pisciotti, ITALMOTOR